This online Youth MHFA course gives you:
- An in-depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
- And qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
The course is usually priced at £300 but we can offer discounts to those on low incomes. Please get in touch if this applies to you.
This is an online course delivered through the MHFA England Online Learning Hub. Learning takes place through four live training sessions, spread across two weeks, with self-learning activities in between. Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
On completion of the course, you will receive:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Youth Mental Health First Aider
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
Session One Introduction
- Introduction to the Online Youth Mental Health First Aid course and the Online Learning Hub
- Why Youth Mental Health First Aid?
- What is ALGEE?
- What is mental health?
- Mental health and stigma
- Mental health quiz: Impact of mental health
- Risk and protective factors for mental health
- The Stress Container
- Introduction to the course
- Outline of live session 1, the value of Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Introduce ALGEE
- Recap what mental health is
- Recap the Mental Health Continuum
- Recap why Youth Mental Health First Aid is important
- Recap risk and protective factors
- The Stress Container
- The Frame of Reference
Session Two Depression, Anxiety & Self-Care
- Your Stress Container
- Your Frame of Reference
- What is depression?
- What is anxiety?
- Introduction to live session 2
- Recap of homework after live session 1
- Recap depression
- Signs and symptoms of depression in a young person
- Recap anxiety
- Signs and symptoms of anxiety in a young person
- ALGEE for depression and anxiety in a young person
Session Three Suicide & Psychosis
- Adolescent brain development
- About suicide
- Suicide risk factors
- What is psychosis?
- Lived experience of psychosis
- ALGEE for psychosis
- Introduction to live session 3
- Recap suicide
- Explore the impact of suicidal feelings
- ALGEE for suicidal crisis
- Practice non-judgemental listening skills
- Recap psychosis
- Recap warning signs and symptoms of psychosis
- Recap ALGEE for psychosis
Session Four Self-Harm, Recovery & Action Planning
- What is self-harm?
- What are eating disorders?
- My action plan for using Youth Mental Health First Aid (completed after live session)
- Introduction to live session 4
- Recap self-harm, the self-harm continuum
- Warning signs of self-harm in young people
- ALGEE for self-harm
- Recap eating disorders
- ALGEE for eating disorders
- Applying MHFA to family and carers; the Recovery Tree