This online mental health first aid course gives you:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
- And qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
The course is usually priced at £300 but we can offer discounts to those on low incomes. Please get in touch if this applies to you.
This is an online course delivered through the MHFA England Online Learning Hub. Learning takes place through four live training sessions, spread across two weeks, with self-learning activities in between. Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
On completion of the course, you will receive:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Mental Health First Aider
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
- Introduction to the Online Mental Health First Aid course and the Online Learning Hub
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Quiz: Impact of mental health
- Stress Container (completed after live session)
- Frame of Reference (completed after live session)
- Introduction to course functions
- Introduction to the course
- ALGEE and mental health introduction recap
- Risk and protective factors
- Frame of Reference
- The Mental Health Continuum
- Introduction to the Stress Container
- What is depression?
- Risk factors for depression
- Mental Health First Aid for depression
- Introduction to suicide
- Recap of individual learning on depression
- Prevalence of suicide
- Suicide, substance misuse and dual diagnosis
- Analyse the impact of suicidal feelings
- Recap of ALGEE and risk factors for suicide
- Explain Mental Health First Aid action plan 1 for suicide
- Explain non-judgemental listening
- Empathy video
- Practice using ALGEE in case study scenarios
- Review of ALGEE for suicide and depression
- What is anxiety?
- Mental Health First Aid for anxiety
- What are eating disorders?
- Mental Health First Aid for eating disorders
- What is self-harm?
- Mental Health First Aid for self-harm
- What are personality disorders?
- Recap of individual learning on anxiety
- Recap of the five basic steps of ALGEE for anxiety
- Explain action 1 for anxiety
- How to support someone who is having a panic attack
- Explain crisis first aid
- Practice action 2: non-judgemental listening
- Practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan for anxiety
- Explain cognitive behavioural therapy
- Recap of eating disorders and self-harm
- Case study for eating disorders and self-harm
- Review ALGEE for eating disorders and self-harm
- What are psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Mental Health First Aid for psychosis
- Helpful and unhelpful responses
- My action plan for using Mental Health First Aid (completed after live session)
- Review of individual learning on psychosis
- Explain the development of symptoms of psychosis
- Review the five steps of ALGEE for psychosis
- Group discussion about MHFA Australia psychosis video
- Case study activity using Mental Health First Aid action plan for psychosis
- Explore how to build a mentally healthy workplace
- Start action plan to use Mental Health First Aid